As it is known, all Planets of our solar system revolves around the Sun and complete one cycle with different speeds like Planet Saturn takes 30 earth years, Jupiter takes 12 Earth year and so on to complete one full circle of Sun. In Astrology, these planets movement are observed from Planet Earth with reference to fixed stars called Zodiac sign. The Planets motions around Sun is normal, called Direct Motion, however when it is observed from Earth it creates illusion and it appears it is going in reverse direction and that is called Retrograde motion.
since Earth completes its orbit in a shorter period than the planets outside its orbit, it periodically overtakes them, like a faster car on a multi-lane highway. When this occurs, the planet being passed will first appear to stop its eastward drift, and then drift back toward the west. Then, as Earth swings past the planet in its orbit, it appears to resume its normal motion west to east. Inner planets Venus and Mercury appear to move in retrograde in a similar mechanism, but as they can never be in opposition to the Sun as seen from Earth.
This apparent retrogradation puzzled ancient astronomers and was one reason they named these bodies ‘planets’ in the first place: ‘Planet’ comes from the Greek word for ‘wanderer’. This was before the concept of Sun is centre of solar system.
How frequent these retrograde illusions happen?
|Planet||Retrograde Duration||Retrograde Cycle|
|Mercury||21||116 cycle – Means every 6 months|
|Venus||41||514 cycle – Every 1.4 years|
|Mars||72||780 cycle – Every two years|
|Jupiter||121||399 cycle – almost every 13 months|
|Saturn||138||378 cycle – almost every year|
What is meaning of Retrograde motion of Planet in Astrology?
As per traditional astrology, they say, when planets goes in retrograde motion, things goes on slowing down, however, writer has strong view that is since retrograde motion is not real, it is just a illusion, so it does not has adverse impact. Some Examples has been shown below in relation with Retrograde of slow moving planets (like Saturn and Jupiter) and Index of BSE (Bombay Stock Exchange).
- In year 1990, Saturn was on Retrograde motion from 5th May 1990 till 22nd Sep 1990 – in Capricorn During, this period, it was observed that Stock market was on rise.
- In the year 2016, Saturn was on Retrograde motion from 25th March 2016 till 13th August 2016 – During, this period BSE Sensex moved from 24682 to 28152 , it was observed that Stock market was on rise. Jupiter was also in Retrograde motion from 9th Jan 2016 till 9th May 2016, During this period BSE Sensex moved from 24825 to 25773. It also show rise in Sensex.
- In the year 2017, Saturn was on Retrograde motion from 6th April 2017 to 24th August 2017 – During, this period BSE Sensex moved from 29707 to 32238, it was observed that Stock market was on rise. Jupiter was also in Retrograde motion from 7th Feb 2017 till 9th June 2017, During this period BSE Sensex moved from 28335 -31262. It also shows rise in Sensex.
- In the year 2018, Saturn was on Retrograde motion from 9th March 2018 – 10thJuly 2018 – During, this period BSE Sensex moved from 29319 – 38158, it was observed that Stock market was on rise. Jupiter was also in Retrograde motion from 9th March 2018 – 10th July 2018., During this period BSE Sensex moved from 33307 -36240. It also shows rise in Sensex.
- In the year 2019, Saturn was on Retrograde motion from 30th April 2019 17th Sep 2019 – During, this period BSE Sensex was almost stable and moved from 39067 – 36481, it was observed that Stock market was on rise. Jupiter was also in Retrograde motion from Jupiter 11th April 2019 – 11th Sep 2019. During this period BSE Sensex moved from 38604 -37145.
It is also noted that, during this time, when Jupiter and Saturn are retrograde some other planets like Mars or Mercury or Venus also went in Retrogarde motion along with it but consistence adverse affected not seen.
So, it looks, when planets go to retrograde motion, it does not mean it will affect adversely, but many time markets become very fast, that is opposite to regular belief. So, this year when many planets are going to be Retrograde motion, it is not necessarily going to inversely impact the market.
An Electronics and Telecommunication Engineer, an Entrepreneur and worked as an IT Consultant for many multinational companies in India & mostly aboard. He is passionate about Understanding Vedic astrology scientifically and bringing accuracy in prediction. He is practicing it for more than 20 years.